The oldest evidence of humans living on the Darß goes to the Mesolithic period. Stone tools modified by human hands have been found every so often on the Darß and in Zingst, but especially in Fischland.
Bronze Age finds prove that the Darß was inhabited by humans.
around 600 C.E.
Slavic tribes begin settling around the lagoons near Barth, later also on the Darß and in Zingst. This is probably the time during which the Hertesburg on the Baltic inlet was built. From ancient to modern times, the Darß was a popular hunting ground for the aristocracy due to the wealth of game on the peninsula. Logging was another important economic factor over the centuries.
around 1100 C.E.
German colonisers arrive on the peninsula as part of the eastward expansion into the Slavic areas.
The first written mention of Prerow is a reference to the Prerow inlet of the Baltic (Slavic prerova meaning “breakthrough”); the village of the same name begins to grow at the edge of the inlet, with the old neighbourhoods of Krugberg, Krabbenort, Drümpel, and Kirchenort.
Arrest of three pirates and the bailiff of Hertesburg.
A severe storm surge severely damages and partly destroys the old neighbourhoods along the inlet and four other farmsteads.
Western Pomerania with the island of Rügen and the Darß peninsula are given to Sweden as part of the Peace of Westphalia.
Swedish records list that the Hertesburg is a ruin.
Beginning of the sailing industry, initially to nearby Baltic ports; Prerow is home to 5 merchant ships.
Remporarily under Danish rule; intensive logging (especially yew trees) on the Darß.
Construction of Prerow’s Seemannskirche under Pastor Henrici.
Prerow is home to six full-time and three half-time farmers and 60 other households.
The town is now home to 17 seaworthy ships.
Blockade of continental shipping during Napoleon’s wars is a blow to shipping on the Darß.
Abolition of serfdom; Darß and Zingst are represented for the first time in the regional parliament.
The Darß is awarded to Prussia.
Captain August von Wehrs writes the first book about the Darß.
- A sailing navigation school is founded at Schulstraße 15.
- Lighthouse at Darß Ort built.
Prerow is now home to 3 shipyards and the population has climbed to 1,500.
Prerow is home to 40 sea captains and 19 helmsmen; between 1853 to 1910, a total of 106 captains are licensed in Prerow for extended sailing journeys.
Prerow’s lifeboat station joins the newly founded German Society for Sea Rescue.
Gradual decline of the sailing industry; fishing remains an important side-line.
A devastating storm surge kills 10 and damages and destroys numerous houses.
Extensive dike construction and closing of the inlet’s mouth.
Prerow records a total of 56 fishing boats and the beginnings of the resort industry on the peninsula.
Innkeeper Hermann Scharmberg provides the first bathing tents on the beach.
The royal government in Stralsund is petitioned for a licence to open a Baltic seaside resort in Prerow and to build a bridge over the inlet to serve as beach access.
A swimming committee is established; two ladies’ pools and one gentlemen’s pool are opened.
Construction of the Prerow sea rescue station.
A heated pool with water from the Baltic opens.
Progressive growth of the seaside resort, construction of villas and pensions; Prerow joins Association of German Seaside Resorts.
Construction of the first pier.
Inauguration of Prerow rail station and the first rail journey from Barth to Prerow over Zingst, with connections to Stettin, Berlin and Hamburg.
Construction of the second, larger pier; ferry connections to Denmark and Sweden are established.
Painter and graphic artist Theodor Schultze-Jasmer establishes the Darß art hut right on the beach.
Construction of the Dünenhaus Spa.
Construction of the present town hall as administrative centre and resort headquarters.
- The Second World War had largely ended tourism; influx of families from East Prussia, Pomerania and Sudetenland.
- Rail line dismantled as part of reparations to the Soviet Union.
Revival of resort operations, state-owned holiday facilities opened, and opening of large holiday camp for children.
Prerow campground opens on the north beach.
The Prerow Museum opens.
100th anniversary of the Prerow barrel-smashing organisation “Tonnenbund“.
Expansion of the Peters Kreuz waterworks and connection of the village to a central water supply.
Construction of a new school with sports hall.
- Relocation and expansion of the Prerow local museum into a regional museum.
- Prerow celebrates 100 years as a Baltic Sea resort.
With the establishment of the national park “Vorpommersche Boddenlandschaft“, the Darß comes under the highest level of nature conservation status available.
Utility and waste systems are modernised; Development of hiking and biking trail network; brisk construction activity.
Dedication of the new 390 m pier.
Construction of a leisure boating moorings and renovation of the jetty at the Prerow inlet.
Awarded the title of “seaside resort”.
Opening of a new large medical facility “Barmer Ostseeklinik”.
The Teeschale restaurant opens at Waldstraße 50.
- Herberge an der Herthesburg opens.
- Helgoland dance club torn down; Prerow Free School opens.
- Rehabilitation of the outdoor stage “Freilichtbühne” completed.
- Opening of the redesigned Dünenhaus.
Celebrations marking the 50th anniversary of the Darß-Museum.
Celebrations marking 125 years of Prerow as a Baltic seaside resort.
Town square memorial for WWI restored.
Elisabeth Maass, oldest woman in Prerow, celebrates her 103rd birthday.
Renovation of old Kulturkaten Kiek In building.
Redesign of the town centre at the shopping market.
- A majority of the town votes in a referendum to build a harbour on the pier.
- Construction of the Prerow rescue centre begins.